The Research in Computer Science (SIF) master offers a wide choice of courses from various active research domains in Computer Science. In order to welcome foreign students, all lecture notes and most lectures are in English.
The SIF master is administered by a consortium of the main computer science universities and graduate schools in Brittany : University of Rennes 1, University of Southern Brittany (UBS), ENS Rennes, National Institute of Applied Sciences, Rennes (INSA) and CentraleSupélec. This consortium of institutions, with the support of renowned laboratories, offers students training at the cutting edge of computer science research. The program is supported by an agreement with Inria.
Common syllabus: methodological approach to research
The methodological part of the program comprises a bibliographic study, training in oral expression techniques which will be applied through participation in the colloquium of the master, a series of lectures and seminars, and work experience in a research team (internship).
- A bibliographic study, essential in any research work, is carried out on the subject of the student’s internship. This bibliographic study is evaluated by a review committee, which presents its remarks to the student on how the document can be improved. This exercise is organized like scientific article submission.
- The colloquium of the SIF master gives all students the opportunity to present a scientific paper in a set amount of time. This work is organized in three stages: training in oral presentation techniques, practice sessions and the colloquium itself. The content of the presentation is based on the bibliographic study. This colloquium is open to all sections of the Matisse doctoral school.
- The curriculum also contains a professionalization course unit, compulsory for all students. This course unit contains a series of conferences, in which various speakers give presentations on the techniques of oral or written scientific communication, on careers in public and private research, the organization of research, intellectual property and specific research fields. The course unit also contains an in-depth presentation on the writing of scientific publications.
- The research internship is 5 months long, usually taking place from February 1 to the end of June (except for special cases such as internships abroad). A wide range of internships are available each year in the research laboratories of the partner institutions, but the internship can also be carried out in high-tech industries, or within a research team–industry partnership. The internship is completed with a written report, reviewed by external professionals, and an oral defense of a set length before a panel.
The SIF master is offered in Rennes, Lannion and Vannes. It offers a wide choice of courses from various domains of active research in Computer Science. See the Courses section for more details.
Each year, several internships are proposed by the teams of the host laboratories:
- IRISA (Institut de recherche en informatique et systèmes aléatoires UMR 6074, http://www.irisa.fr), located in Rennes, Lannion and since January 2012 also in Vannes (http://www-irisa.univ-ubs.fr/)
- Rennes Bretagne Atlantique INRIA regional research center (http://www.inria.fr/en/centre/rennes)
- Lab-STICC (Laboratoire en sciences et techniques de l'information de la communication et de la connaissance, http://www.lab-sticc.fr/)